Development of teacher education in Meghalaya

Diengdoh, Bashan D.M. (2018) Development of teacher education in Meghalaya. Learning Curve (30). pp. 44-45.

[img]
Preview
Text - Published Version
Download (506kB) | Preview

Abstract

Teacher Education Institutions were established in a gradual manner to cater to the needs of teachers in the state. The first Teacher Education Institution under the Theological College was started by the Welsh Mission at Cherrapunjee for training of teachers at the primary level. In 1861, the Government decided to amalgamate the Training School section of the Cherrapunjee Normal School from Nongsawlia to Shillong and attached to the Welsh Mission High School at Mawkhar Shillong. By 1946, the Training School functioned in the same building. In 1947, after Independence, the then Government of India requested the Welsh Mission to extend the facility in giving training to the Lower Primary School teachers. The training school later came to be known as Cherra Teachers‟ Training Centre under the management of the Presbyterian Church. Long before the establishments of BTCs, the Government in 1906 started the Guru Training School (GTS) at Tura with an intake capacity of 30 trainees. It catered to the training needs of primary teachers in Garo Hills, however, due to administrative problem, it ceased to function few years back after nine decades of its existence.

Item Type: Articles in APF Magazines
Uncontrolled Keywords: Education, Elementary education, Early childhood education
Subjects: Social sciences
Social sciences > Education
Divisions: Azim Premji University > University publications > Learning Curve
Depositing User: Mr. Sachin Tirlapur
Date Deposited: 07 Sep 2018 13:53
Last Modified: 07 Sep 2018 13:53
URI: http://publications.azimpremjifoundation.org/id/eprint/1176
Publisher URL: http://apfstatic.s3.ap-south-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-...

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item